We can’t claim to know what people want in the future with certainty.

Maybe we should be pushing to be able to afford doing something well for the sake of future researchers. The 80s, 90s and 2000s saw increasing austerity of funding so we became used to providing less work on more records because staff numbers have been shrinking. It’s what short-staffed organizations do to avoid backlogs, thinking something is better than nothing. Backlogs had a way of forming anyway because it is hard to refrain from doing things well. Quality is a luxury now.

If we are putting this much effort into a new framework, shouldn’t we be able to do it well?

Cindy Wolff

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 3:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Thoughts on provenance

Diane asks the question “We want to do this well, don’t we?” My reply would be we should want to do it as well as is required to support real end-user needs that are important to support. This is because we will clearly lack the level of resourcing we enjoyed for much of the 80s and 90s, and even into the 2000s. We must choose well where to put our resources or we will regret it. Lacking any context, any cataloger will want to describe a resource to within an inch of its life. But that isn’t what we can afford to do.

So I’m suggesting we need to provide the end-user use cases where knowing “where it came from, when it was last updated, how it was created (human or machine?)” is important and then we can go from there. This can be something along the lines of “without that information I can’t provide the user with a display from which they can make intelligent decisions about the resource because of X and Y”. But there must be something to justify all the work besides our deep-seated (and laudible) desire to do things “well”.
Roy