Cindy Wolff said:

> If we are putting this much effort into a new framework, shouldn't we be
> able to do it well?

Not to mention, part of this whole process *must* be an insistence on "intelligent" interfaces for data entry.  The kinds of things we're talking about in this thread should be able to become a part of the metadata with very little effort on the part of the operator.

Most of today's "state of the art" cataloging interfaces are stupidly obsolescent pieces of junk.  Someone might very well be excused for thinking that system vendors, and library administrators who don't push the vendors, have a high degree of contempt for the people responsible for actually creating the bibliographic metadata, based on the incredible lack of change in the basic concept of the cataloging interface, which hasn't changed in 40 years.

Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves and it's getting close to the weekend...

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library