I'm not sure that we can judge provenance on end-user needs of the
usual stripe. I see provenance as a need for systems so that we don't
produce a gawd-awful mess that doesn't serve users at all.

The main provenance need that I am aware of is that of managing
updates to and interaction with data. Given that the world we are
moving into will be more interactive than today's catalog, that the
division between 'cataloger' and 'user' will be less strict because
users will be able to do things with data, even adding or changing,
then you need provenance as a way to identify library data on the Web.
Changes in this environment will be of the form of adding another
version of something, or linking some previously unlinked things
together. Without provenance/versioning this results in gobbly-de
gook.  In the Semantic Web sense, provenance goes hand-in-hand with
versioning, and you do want to be able to know if you have the latest
version of something. Provenance is what will make library data
library data, and user data user data, and Roy's data Roy's data.

Or maybe we aren't talking about the same thing?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net