The thread below has been in the back of my mind for a while and today my
concerns with it crystallized. If we truly want to move ahead in a new way,
I think it is absolutely necessary to question our assumptions. An
assumption I see below is that provenance matters. Itıs quite possible that
it does, but allow me to question it. In all of my 37 years working in
libraries Iıve never encountered a situation where it was necessary to know
where the title came from to do useful work with bibliographic data. In what
situations is this necessary, and why?

Also in this message, Karen sets out a potential principle as:

"say what it is, not where you want it to display"

I fully agree with this, and suggest another principle:

³carry forward only what can be justified by real requirements from real
users²

Otherwise, I fear we are in danger of jumping from the frying pan into the
fire.
Roy