I've started a research project on how online community information (CI) can be organised by libraries and other CI providers to effectively address the needs of both end-users and service providers. There appear to be few standards in this area, but there is, of course, the MARC Community Information Format, used by a number of public libraries, including some in Australia. Although the MARC CIF doesn't deal with bibliographic data as such, I guess this Initiative might look into its redevelopment as well?

Talking to CI providers here in Australia, it seems that there's plenty of scope, and need, for a new, RDF-aligned schema, consisting of the elements required to describe 'community resources' (services, groups, events, etc.). I think it would be good, from both a systems and linked data point of view, if this could be developed at the same time as the Initiative was looking at the encoding of the RDA/AACR/DC element sets, etc.

Philip

Assoc Prof Philip Hider
Head, School of Information Studies
Boorooma Street
Wagga Wagga, NSW 2678
Australia
Tel: +61 2 6933 2522
Fax: +61 2 6933 2733
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.csu.edu.au

Charles Sturt University

| ALBURY-WODONGA | BATHURST | CANBERRA | DUBBO | GOULBURN | MELBOURNE | ONTARIO | ORANGE | SYDNEY | WAGGA WAGGA |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of CSU.

Charles Sturt University in Australia  http://www.csu.edu.au  The Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795  ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Numbers: 00005F (NSW), 01947G (VIC), 02960B (ACT)

Charles Sturt University in Ontario  http://www.charlessturt.ca 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4  Registration: www.peqab.ca

Consider the environment before printing this email.