Elizabeth,

To me, line 907 indicates that declared sets are considered referenced but that does not mean the converse is true (i.e., a thing referenced is not necessarily declared).   Are you using the ead dtd or ead schema or something else?  Even with a blank xml document with no schema or dtd declared I still can use & &lt, etc in oXygen 13.2 but I can replicate your issue with &hearts, &diams, &spades, etc.

Entities have to be declared some place.

&hearts et al are declared in the Publishing extensions of ISO 8879 (see http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/wd-docbook-xmlcharent-0.3.html#isopub).

To declare the Publishing extensions, I added the following to my document :
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ENTITY % iso-pub PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN//XML"
                    "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlcharent/0.3/iso-pub.ent">
%iso-pub;
]>

I put it after the <?xml ...> tag and before <ead> (Entities have to be declared in dtd since there is no support for them in xsd - see http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1-schema/#diffs)

Also if you have declared a schema in your xml document, in oXygen, click on Options|Preferences|XML|XML Parser and make sure the XML Parser Property "Ignore the DTD for validation if a schema is specified" is *not* checked.

Why you can't use &amp is a mystery, though.  Sorry.

Regards,
Maury Bouchard
Simmons GSLIS