The notion of a "computing cloud" is taken here to signify something very
limited -- off-site storage -- but it does have a larger meaning, and is
more commonly used in that context; the interconnectedness of several of
one's devices and the web. I used to work within a company that thought and
behaved as if they were the only ones who ever had this idea. Their attempt
to dominate this market so far has come to nothing, so far as I can tell;
there is too much multiplicity in services and options. I used to say
things like "you'll never get my 78 turntable into that chain" and they
would look at me like the guy who really ought not to be in the meeting.
But I had the right answer; not all, not even very many of us, would want
to be able to control everything in our households with our cellphone or
the remote to our cable TV setup. As archivists especially we can see the
wisdom of having multiple eggs in multiple baskets. If you don't keep all
of your storage in one place, then when one service decides to invade,
alter or delete your holdings than you can access them from another and
kill the service that is giving you trouble, or let them kill themselves.

In the later months of 2010 I was in desperate need of a computer tech to
service my machine, and connected with one who was both incompetent and a
thief; he wiped my computer out twice, killed a drive that had a ton of
stuff on it and stole my best peripherals and replaced them with junk,
before skipping town after selling my daughter's laptop -- which he had
been paid to repair -- to a third party. I am still recovering from this
debacle; I still do not have a working MS Office program, a CD burner that
burns CDs etc. though I hope to have these issues resolved very shortly.
Nevertheless, I was thankful indeed to be able to recover about 80 percent
of my files from an online storage facility that I have been using for
several years. So personally I am not greatly concerned with the fallout
from Megaupload; I wasn't using that service, and what they were in the
main was an enormous clearinghouse for large, illegally traded files, or so
their detractors say. I wouldn't want to be a part of that anyway, the same
reason I did not join Napster, Kazaa or any other file sharing service that
tended to be less than private. I am more concerned, actually, with live
humans that pass themselves off as computer technicians and integrate
themselves into your system, and life, in order to rip you off.

David "Uncle Dave" Lewis
Lebanon, OH