I'm sure that this will elicit a lot of responses saying that you can only
do this with an analog filter because of phase shift..... but I regularly
do this if the material is destined for restoration rather than a flat
domain transfer.
Being able to de-click and de-crackle the material before the filter allows
you to much more accurately remove ticks and pops. Most times I just use
the filters in DC8 to generate references, but I have clients that want the
analog playback EQ and summing to mono.
The real trick is finding a decent preamp that will allow flat transfer as
well as line level input to the playback EQ.

All the best,
-mark