From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello Don [Tait],

you wrote:

>   The late Andy Karzas, who had absolute pitch, said the records play  at
> 77.56 rpm.

 - alas, absolute pitch is worthless unless you know what his mother's piano
was tuned to. In other words, an RPM is no good without a reference pitch,
typically for a or c.

If you have a number of records pitched by the late Andy Karzas, we may
determine his internal reference by measuring up the records.

I have tried to fit 77.56 into the discrete RPMs you get from a 60 Hz mains
with a suitable number of bars in the stroboscope: it does not quite fit the
one lower than 78.26, which would be 77.42. So his incredible precision must
have been obtained in a different way.

Personally, I would have thought 76 rpm would be the correct speed.

Kind regards,

George