What I wrote about Andy Karzas's comments concerning the pitch of  the Auer
records can be explained by the following. Based upon my notes from the
time.

  On August 1, 1983, I played the two Auer records when Andy was here.  I
played them using my Technics SP-15 turntable. It has an LED speed change
display. Additionally, I have a chart devised by a WFMT engineer that lists
the  very small up- or down- SP-15 increments in rpm terms. When I reached
-0.9 on  the LED display, Andy said "stop." On the chart, that was 77.56 rpm.

  The 12" Auer record contains Tchaikovsky's "Melodie," Op. 42#3. We
established (I don't remember how: it's been almost 29 years) that the key for
that transcription is E-Flat. At -0.9, Andy said "stop." "Start it  again."
"All right. That's E-Flat." I also don't remember what we did about the
Brahms.

  Don Tait