Hello ARSC brain trust:

Does someone know exactly when folks in Hollywood started using magnetic-coated film in their sound
recordings? I found this article from a Dolby executive:
http://www.cinematechnologymagazine.com/pdf/dion%20sound.pdf
which seems to put the date around 1952, with the development of Cinerama, which apparently used
stripe-coated magnetic tracks. I think Westrex developed its stripe-coat and full-coat recorders
around that same time, and that magnetic recording of master tracks started to become common as the
various widescreen formats developed in the early 1950's. Is this historically correct?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-- Tom Fine