Goran, I was shocked when I compared some receivers' RIAA preamps to my
RTS405 and an original development board showcasing the MC1303 chip. The
roll-off was very noticeable on the receiver.

No wonder people would say "LPs sound warmer than CDs"!

I've mentioned this elsewhere--perhaps when I first did it--that I
compared about a half dozen or more LPs to CDs that i had from various
manufacturers. I adjusted the cartridge loading first by ear in the
RTS405 RIAA preamp and then checked on a CBS STR? test record. It was
flat to within 2 dB at 12 kHz. I don't recall what happened above that.

What was interesting was that when I had LPs and CDs sounding reasonable
for "quality-oriented" major manufacturers and reissuers, some of the
LPs from mass-market manufacturers sounded amazingly bright/screechy,
reminding me of the comment from a major manufacturer back in the day
that went something like this: "The average phonograph in the U.S. costs
$39.95. We make our records so they sound good on that."

Thanks for confirming that this is somewhat common practice. I wonder
why this preamp would print an erroneous curve? Do you suspect there
might be erroneous curves published someplace that some manufacturers
might think are correct? Has there ever been anything like "The Prague
Compromise" for LPs?

For those who are wondering, "Prague Compromise" is a cassette tape
"oops" see
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/05/17/cassette-equalization-the-4-db-ambiguity-at-16-khz/
and http://richardhess.com/notes/2010/10/08/cassette-equalization-redo/.

Cheers,