Hi Katie:

I'm actually agreeing with you -- definitely treat the exhaust as "hostile" and definitely take the
precautions you deem necessary. I wouldn't say it's like running a car in a closed garage
(guaranteed to kill you eventually), but who knows and why be risky in a workplace? And, as I said,
they don't smell nice (not bad like a skunk, but definitely not pretty like a flower). As in all
things, I try to be moderate in my approach. Vent hood, yes. Clean room, no.

See my separate post about which tapes to bake. I never bake something that's not exhibiting SSS
and/or is clearly of the suspect types. There are ways to tell without damaging the tape. If you
understand the history of a tape type -- what era certain boxes are from, etc -- that's a helpful
start. For instance, if I get a brown-gray Ampex 406 box, really good bet it's sticky. If I get a
Quantegy-branded 406 box, maybe but not definite, usually not so far in my experience (other
experiences may vary). Scotch 226/227 was all sticky. So was Scotch 250, I believe. I've encountered
old (supposedly pre-SSS) reels of Ampex 406 that were greasy and tacky-oozy but not outright stuck
together. Those responded well to baking, not sure why since the binder is supposedly different. A
classic SSS tape will be stuck together right from the get-go. Once you get experience with them,
you'll note that they smell a certain way and there's kind of a greasy feeling to the edge of the
tape pack, sometimes you can see little bits of ooze at the edge if you look with a magnifier. If
you're able to un-wind a few feet of tape from a suspect brand, likely SSS should feel some what
greasy and tacky. I wouldn't wind it any further, I'd bake it because experience tells me it needs
it and if it's not stuck together at some point, it is greasy and tacky and will not ride well in
the tape path.

Here's why I wouldn't bake Scotch 206, for instance, or Maxell UDXL, unless it was clearly stuck or
oozing. Those tape types are known to get "stiff" over time, similar to what happens to early
brown-oxide polyester tapes but perhaps to a lesser extent because the brown-oxides are older and
not enough time has passed for the 206 and Maxell tapes. So far, the "stiff" tapes don't have
problems playing, but Scotch 206 can definitely get so dried out that it sheds oxide, as can
Audiotape polyester-backed brown-oxide tape. My belief is that these tapes shouldn't be exposed to
dry forced hot air (ie baking). In fact, I question whether they -- or earlier acetate tapes for
that matter -- should be stored in bone-dry conditions as is recommended for known SSS types.

So I'll stick by my recommendation that only SSS types should be baked. At this point, if you have a
SSS type from the known SSS years, it will be well stuck and clearly need baking. I haven't read or
heard of damage being done to those types from before and after the SSS era if they, too, are baked,
so you can do that to keep your workflow simple. I would definitely not bake known non-SSS types and
if they are stuck I would question whether it's actually SSS. Early brown-oxide non-backcoat
polyester tapes have never shown SSS, as far as I know, so I would say it's inappropriate to bake
them.

-- Tom Fine