From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

it pleases me no end to read about somebody doing something new for a change!
The 78 rpm format is just right for the field, because with the coarse
grooves there is no need to be hysterical about working in a dust-free
environment and in most cases not even about overloading the system. And now,
of course, we have mains electricity everywhere.

The increase in demand for lacquer records (we now know that they were
nitrocellulose lacquers, not cellulose acetate lacquers) might even lower the
price of masters from the suppliers to record mastering studios, to the
benefit of us all.

In 50-100 years time we shall have a real pickle, however, because we shall
then have to apply various forensic techniques to determine that your records
are what they are and not 70+ years older. However, that is what happens when
you start using technology that has been overtaken by technical development.

It is very interesting, philosophically, to consider that no-one will be able
to re-create MiniDisc recording 70 years after its heyday (if it ever had
one) 1) because probably no equipment can be made to function, and 2) nobody
will manufacture unrecorded magneto-optical MiniDiscs in 70 years. It all
speaks for going primitive.

My own experiences with re-creating early recording has concentrated on
acoustic disc recording, using Berliner etch-technology and Johnson cut wax
technology. However, I regularly use my better-than-a-portable-Presto lathe
for 78 rpm lacquers. My lathe is portable if you are two strong men - it has
handles!

Best wishes; I shall follow your website!

George