Hello Lou,

Apart form having a case open with Digidesign I have opened a thread in their forums where you can follow the issue:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=315872&highlight=aggregate&page=2

The people from digidesign's technical support have argued that they could reproduce the issue with other applications such as Ableton Live, so its an issue with the drivers. It does not seem to happen with Audacity, so it seems related to aggregating. It only affects monitoring.  The only solution that Digidesign is currently able to offer was to suggest that I buy an external soundcard. Their sales department committed to offer a discount of 25 % on an Mbox as a courtesy because the configuration with the built in i/o is currently in their supported device list.

hope it helps