As one who was involved with a couple of direct-to-disc recordings back
in the 70's, I know what you mean about the intensity of focus when the
engineer says: "rolling!". We did however, have a multi-track tape deck
also rolling as a backup.

That said, my guess is that if Alan Lomax would have had a handheld
digital recorder available at the time, he would have used it.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
http://www.baileyzone.net/