From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Phono Preamps
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 7:09 PM

Yeah, whatevs. Horses for courses. I suspect all of these little relatively inexpensive phono preamps are the same designs, right out of the various opamp spec sheets. There's a little tweaking here and there but two preamps that adhere to the RIAA curve as closely as all of these claim should not sound radically different. I also suspect this "78" setting on the Esoteric is something close to the old Orthophonic curve. There is no one "78" curve, but you will do OK with many records from about the mid-30's onward with the Orthophonic curve. You get something like the TDL if you want a lot of options, plus understanding that late in the 78 era, there were some significant differences in the curves used by the various companies. Plus it's good to have the high-pass and low-pass filters.

If anyone has done anything close to apple-apples tests of these little preamps, I'd be interested in the results. This would be same source material, same photo and cartridge, transfer at a high resolution, use as direct a chain as possible (ie no extra EQ or DSP). I'll never say never with audio, but I'd be surprised if they sound very different. If any sound really different, we'd need to compare circuits and components.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roderic G Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>