Hello:

We're looking into the particulars of how we would go about setting up a
tape baking program in-house. One thing I have not seen addressed in the
informal discussions about baking or in the literature is whether people
are concerned about exposure to anything potentially harmful (or that would
be regulated under OSHA exposure limits) from off gassing during baking,
and following that, whether anyone uses controls (such as a fume hood) to
mitigate any potential exposures.

A chemist who is studying the degredation of video magnetic media recently
said in response to my query that among other likely products, "Degradation
products of magnetic tape include carbon dioxide, acetaldehyde, vinyl
benzoate, carbon monoxide, methane, and benzaldehyde.  Many of these
compounds are considerably harmful if inhaled, so I would definitely make
an effort to move the baking to a well-ventilated area, or have it
separately ventilated." Beyond the general question posed above about
concern vs. controls, if anyone has actually measured exposure during
baking to the listed components, I would appreciate knowing more about your
results.

Stories from your experiences baking, or particulars about how and where
you do your baking would be much appreciated!

Thank You,

Katie Mullen

Preservation Coordinator,
Library-Archives
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, WI  53706-1482
PH: 608-264-6489

Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846