The reverse *is* recommended for film -- I've done it in the past with
microfilm  during surveys of old masters, but it hasn't held true...I don't
know why that would be, though.

Because our interest is stirred here at WHS, we're going to start testing
with polarizing filters vs. looking through the pack to see if it holds up,
as we reformat. Will report back!!