From: "Andrew Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:59:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Transcription discs and nitrate lacquer

I thought it was the other way around. Acetate was replaced by
nitrocellulose lacquer, but the name, acetate, lives on...

From Wackypedia:

"Despite their name, most acetate discs do not contain any acetate.
Instead, most are an aluminum disc with a coating of nitrocellulose
lacquer."

Lacquer masters and dubs remain highly flammable - especially after
near-vaporization by a heated stylus. The swarf must be removed
carefully from the chip jar (which also has some water in its
bottom). Then you take a huge clump outdoors and ignite it - using
a 10 foot match. Weeeeeeeee!

Andrew

(P.S., I visited the DDR in 1983. Beautiful to see no
advertisements or other vestige of decadent capitalism. Sigh.)

On Feb 29, 2012, at 9:53 AM, Dennis Rooney wrote:

> Although the first instantaneous blanks were cellulose nitrate, the
> formula
> was later changed to cellulose acetate, hence the use of "acetate"
> as a
> cognomen for discs which are properly called "lacquer(s)". The
> change was
> prompted by some unfortunate accidents involving mastering
> engineers who
> smoked while cutting lacquers. The vast majority of surviving
> lacquer discs
> are cellulose acetate. No worries (at least not about combustibility).
>
> DDR
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Steve Greene
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> First time poster here. How big a concern is the storage of
>> transcription
>> recordings, a majority of which are made of coated cellulose nitrate
>> lacquer? Coming from a moving image background, the "n" word
>> (NITRATE) is
>> scary, though presumably the volume of nitrate in even a large
>> collection
>> of coated discs is tiny compared to even a small collection of
>> nitrate
>> film. Were there components in the "recipe" for nitrate lacquer that
>> tended to make them less combustible?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your advice, perspectives.
>>

>> Steve Greene
>> Archivist
>> Office of Presidential Libraries
>> National Archives and Records Administration
>> (301) 837-1772
>>

> --
> Dennis D. Rooney
> 303 W. 66th Street, 9HE