On 2/9/12 11:50 AM, Hickey,Thom wrote:
> I like actionable URIs as identifiers, but agree that the creator of the
> identifier may be better left out of the URI.
>
> PURLs and VIAF IDs are examples of identifiers that use a domain name
> specific to themselves, not the agency maintaining them (in both cases
> OCLC).

The difference that I see between PURLs and VIAF IDs is that VIAF IDs
are limited to the VIAF service, while anyone can create a PURL, and
there is not a single application for things identified by PURLs.

It seems to me that many URIs tend to be created around a single service
or application.

http://xmlns.com/foaf/  for FOAF
http://rdvocab.info/  for RDA elements and vocabularies
http://dewey.info/   for the Dewey in RDF

Something in the URI gives you context. With PURLs that is not the case.
(Ditto URIs under vocab.org, which also make use of the PURL service.)

So here is yet another area of "best practices" worth discussing. I see
nothing wrong with

http://id.loc.gov/  for LC authorities

because LC is truly the owner for these vocabularies. VIAF makes sense
to me because OCLC *hosts* the service but is not the owner of the data.
It would make sense to me that ISBNs would have URIs under
http://isbn.org rather than http://bowker.com.

At the same time, if I needed to create a single RDF property to fill
out my metadata (for example, if I was using DCterms for everything
else) then it would make sense to me to use http://purl.org or
http://vocab.org as a simple way to obtain a URI, rather than getting a
separate domain name (that I might forget to renew).

I don't, however, have a rule for this, nor even an idea of what are the
practical reasons for choosing one of these possibilities over another.
Having a best practice doesn't mean that you would force people to
follow it, it means that if people are pondering their choices you give
them useful guidance. Why make everyone spend energy thinking about this?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net