While it's generally more helpful to have readable URIs than to have
machine-generated ones, I think that effort expended to standardize URI
construction won't be very effective. Naming and organizational
conventions in one culture or system will likely not translate well to
different cultures or systems.

In my opinion, the most intellectual effort in this area should go into
defining a bibliographic record media type, or a family of media types,
or a framework for creating and using such media types. The idea is that
if the automated systems have unambiguous ways to process these media
types, then the users can expend as much or as little effort as they
need on naming and organization.

Naturally, the media type will use URIs and hyperlinking prolifically,
but in the end computers don't really care what the URIs look like as
long as they can be resolved. In fact, specifying URIs to be opaque in
the data model will be very helpful, as then we can be sure that the
transmission formats and system implementations won't need to rely on
potentially ambiguous or contentious naming and organization schemes.

More on URI opacity: http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-opacity

Thanks,
Steven Huwig