From: Encoded Archival Description List on behalf of Terry Catapano
Sent: Tue 1/31/2012 7:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The entity "hearts" was referenced, but not declared

Liz,

I think you have to turn on the referencing of the xml character entities
in line 927 of the DTD file.

<!--=======================================================================-->
<!--
     E. CONDITIONAL SECTION: XML Character Entities

     Entity name: xmlchar
     Default: IGNORE

   -->
<!--=======================================================================-->
<!ENTITY % xmlchar
   'IGNORE'

If the line reads IGNORE in your DTD file change to INCLUDE and see if it
works.

(why &amp; gives you and error is still a mystery, however...)

I think this is explained somewhere in EAD documentation, I'll try
to find it.

Hope this helps,

Terry

On
Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Elizabeth H Dow wrote:

> I've run into an issue with oXygen 13.2 that baffles me.
>
> I'm putting together a demonstration of how entities work for a class. I
> tried to create the note "I &hearts; Ben &amp; Jerry's ice cream" to make my
> point.
>
> I got the following error message: "The entity "hearts" was referenced, but
> not declared" and the file does not parse.
>
> I found the following statement at line 907 of the DTD "By default, all
> declared sets are referenced" which leads me to believe that I do not need
> to declare the standard ISO entities individually.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight as to why I've hit this problem. FYI, I got the
> same message for &amp; .
>
> Elizabeth H. Dow
> Professor
> Louisiana State University

Terry Catapano
Special Collections Analyst/Librarian
Columbia University Libraries Digital Program
212-854-9942