This is drifting away from EAD, but as long as we’re on the topic the Well Intentioned Practices are meant to reflect community of practice. We’d welcome having more institutions sign on in support on them.

The recently published ARL Code of Best Practices in Fair Use contains a section on digitizing special collections materials – this section is actually quite complimentary to WIP.

When reading the ARL document, I’d urge librarians and archivists to not think about the “enhancements” as requirements; if you do, you will find yourself jumping through what may be unnecessary hoops ;-)

Think of fair use as a muscle – if you don’t use it, it will wither. Fortunately Barb and others have strong muscles, due to a lot of strenuous exercise!

Best,

Merrilee

Merrilee Proffitt, Senior Program Officer

OCLC Research

777 Mariners Island Blvd Suite 550

San Mateo, CA 94404 USA

+1-650-287-2136