Interesting about the lively discussion.  Our collections are consecutively numbered (e.g. 2011-01, 2011-02, etc.) so when I came here in 1981, there is ONE collection but the 01 collection might be manuscripts and personal papers and the 02 collection might be archives of an organization.   I've chosen to call the entire collection 'manuscripts' because of the similarity of research materials, though internally we understand the difference and do explain it to users and classes.

Dean