Here are the responses I received to my post about article sharing applications.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Jean

I have used Diigo extensively, though in bursts.  I can go weeks without adding anything and then spend a couple of days adding a lot.  I used Furl before that and when Furl collapsed I was able to transfer all my bookmarks to Diigo.  I’ve allowed my tags to evolve over time to accommodate changes in my professional and personal interests.  Once in a while, I do a cleanup of the tags, eliminate variations and aggregate. I also use Pearltrees (mostly for specific projects and because it’s fun and more visual).  I don’t use the groups/community/team functions extensively.  It’s a personal choice.  We have internal tools within the organization that would allow us to do something similar.  Since I was one of very few people using the internal tools, I gave up on them.

While there are some potential copyright issues involved with sharing, I would say using a system like Mendeley is your best bet. It allows you to annotate articles and share notes with those with whom you're connected. There may be some privacy issues, however, so potentially a project management system like GIT would be a better solution.

I haven't used this but it looks of possible interest:

http://www.webnotes.net/Features/

Although it's a paid service, there's a free version. They say you can share links with others that show your annotations, and they don't have to have an account.

I haven't used this but it looks of possible interest:

http://www.webnotes.net/Features/

Although it's a paid service, there's a free version. They say you can share links with others that show your annotations, and they don't have to have an account.

I started using Diigo a couple of years ago, primarily as a bookmark sorter/saver.  I can't speak to the articles functions specifically, but in my experience the system as a whole is dependable, easy to use, and the functions usually operate exactly as advertised. I would think even the technologically challenged would find Diigo manageable and helpful.

Jean Graef

www.montague.com

@jgraef (Twitter)

montagueinstitute.wordpress.com/ (blog)