In actual fact I feel that a number of procedures governing ISO 639 JAC are quite antiquated.  It would be far better to develop procedures that are more inclusive. Håvard has made a very good start with the draft for ISO 639.  As the new Editor of the ISO 639 standard, it is my intention to try to continue this work along the same vein.  I hope this will mean that more groups will participate in the future development of the ISO 639 family and that we will not have people quoting historical procedures that perhaps are not fit for purpose today.

I sometimes feel that there is very much a TC37/TC46 unhealthy divide within the JAC and my original (unnecessarily flippant) comment reflects both this sentiment and if I am being honest perhaps also the unhealthy divide itself.  It is something that I hope to deal with in the development of future ISO 639 management procedures. I am endeavouring to deal with it by widening the field of experts and not reducing as my original comment may have implied.

To this end I have a private meeting scheduled with a number of experts from across the world at the Max Plank Institute in June.  Unfortunately, the meeting is currently scheduled to take place after our annual TC37 meetings but I am endeavouring to open discussions via teleconference prior to this.

Assuring you of my best intentions and attentions as Editor.

Best wishes

Debbie