Von: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Peter Constable
Gesendet: Montag, 30. Januar 2012 07:54
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: 2011-001 proposal for Neo "neu"

I'm not sure rapid processing of requests is the best idea for ISO 639-3, even in the case of requests that are simple to evaluate. The reason is that, due to the large inventory of languages being catalogued and that there is not always a high level of confidence for all 7000, the number of changes that may be made during the year is significant. That could easily mean changes being published on a weekly basis. Indeed, I see that there were 181 change requests during 2011, which could mean publishing changes several times a week. That would be rather impractical for the RA. But also, for implementers using the standard, a high frequency of changes could be too disruptive.

When ISO 639-3 was being developed, a proposal for how maintenance would be handled was prepared by the candidate RA and that was made available to the JAC. That proposal included a regular but not overly frequent schedule for publication of updates. If I recall, initial thinking was for updates to be published on a bi-yearly schedule, and I think that would be a good schedule. Of course, publishing twice years would add some overhead for the RA; they would have to comment on whether that would be feasible.

Peter