Thomas,
The MODS Editorial Committee has been discussing your proposal, and
while we don't feel comfortable with the idea of allowing for HTML (or
other markup) to be embedded within MODS elements, we think we may have
come up with a solution. Please see the details on the MODS E.C. wiki:

http://bit.ly/AtfaIZ

We welcome any feedback you (or, of course, anyone on the list) might have.

Best,
Jon Stroop, on behalf of the MODS Editorial Committee