From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herrold, Charles
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] More about two concerns about RDA

True enough--I suppose the matter is settled. For example, American heritage dictionary gives "cm", without a period, Wikipedia (that fount of all knowledge) has: A centimetre (American spelling: centimeter, symbol cm), and The Chicago manual of style (14th ed., at least) gives metric abbreviations without periods, all of which I confess not to have known.  But let's face it, it has been spelled cm. since the beginning of the card catalog era--though one could argue that this is simply closing punctuation--so let's not malign those who think of it as an abbreviation.  (If it quacks like a duck ...)
     IMO, this seems like a silly thing to argue about anyway, since most American catalog users don't really know what centimeters are anyway, and if we really wanted to be user friendly we'd be better off using inches, given that the U.S. is unlikely to switch to the metric system anytime soon.  If it has to be "cm" so be it.  We can live with that, and implementing RDA will have far bigger challenges in store than that.
Chuck Herrold
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh