From an EAD-encoding perspective, <unittitle> is not required, so simply
having a <unitdate> is sufficient.  This is also compliant with the DACS
guidelines for subsequent levels in a multilevel description.  In the
example of a corresondence series, the title "Correspondence" could inherit
to subordinate components with only <unitdate>s.

In your local context there may be stylesheet and best practice
considerations that require a <unittitle>.  This is the case a Yale, where
we require <unittitle> at each level of description, a decision that I
regret.  Were I to significantly revisit our encoding best practices and
stylesheets I would not require <unittitle> at component levels.

Mike