At Wisconsin, we're using CNRI handles as the permanent identifiers and we specify that the related handle URL should be what is used to cite a given EAD. In the rare case where a resource ceases to exist, we edit its handle to resolve to a generic page explaining that the resource no longer exists. This still may be frustrating for some users, but at least they know the resource hasn't simply moved. It's also possible to alias handles to other handles, so if resources W, X, and Y are consolidated into resource Z, each of the handles for the former can be aliased to the latter. The existing handles will continue to function but will resolve to a new resource.

B-

On March 26, at 10:32 AM, Michele R Combs wrote:

> Now that more and more of us are putting more and more of our finding aids online on the open web, where they get indexed by search engines and bookmarked by researchers, I'm curious how other institutions are handling cases of de-accessioned or transferred collections.  Do you simply delete the finding aids file from your server, knowing that you're potentially creating dead link(s), and wait for it to eventually disappear from Google's search results?  Do you put up a brief "This collection has been cancelled" note directing people to your main website if they have questions?  Or something else?
>
> I can see pros and cons of both approaches.
>
> Michele
>
> +++++++++++++++
> Michele Combs
> Lead Archivist
> Special Collections Research Center
> Syracuse University
> 315-443-2081
> scrc.syr.edu
> library-blog.syr.edu/scrc

Brian Sheppard
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
[log in to unmask]    (608) 262-3349