In the case of a date functioning as both contextual data title/date, I
prefer the wrapping of <unitdate> within <unittitle>. I think every
component needs basic contextual information and "nothing means
something" (i.e. its lacking a <unittitle> means to infer that
information from the parent component instead of the <unittitle> is
missing) can be a little dangerous, if not difficult to parse and
repurpose. I find date to be an integral part of a title or basic
component description. And if I know that every component has a
<unittitle>, I know when I re-purpose my data (which I do), that I'm
going to get contextual information for every component when I include
<unittitle>. If we don't know what information or elements to expect at
each component level, things could get quite messy because we don't know
which information is most important.