On a collection level, we place the system number of our MARC records as a value of the identifier attribute of the eadid.  (For example: <eadid identifier="003468977"> sch01205 </eadid> ) This is non-kosher, but our other option would have been to alter our local version of the schema to define a location for this data.  We are looking forward to a day when EAD will have a defined location for this kind of data (after EAD revision).

If I had to do this at the component level, I'd try to make sure I could find these numbers later and transform them to comply with whatever solution appears after EAD revision (expected in August 2013).  For example, I might use an <odd> right after the <did> with a specific value in the type attribute like "sysID," make the audience attribute value "internal" only so it does not display, and put the database number in the content.  The problem with this solution is that it relies on encoders being careful.  Alternately, you could make a local modification to the schema.

If you are thinking of altering the schema, there are a number of options that were collected as comments through the TS-EAD group.

In our comments, we were suggesting a need in EAD for a place to indicate metadata system numbers (or identifiers) and digitial object system numbers (or identifiers).  It is one of the comments that we made to the TS-EAD group.  You can find a digest of all comments here:

http://www2.archivists.org/groups/technical-subcommittee-on-encoded-archival-description-ead/encoded-archival-description-ead

I think the relevant area in the digest is page 10, and starts with "Allow logical links to related resources and entities."

Kate