From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vicky Phillips
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: System Control Number in EAD

Hello, We are currently starting on the digitisation of archives and manuscripts and for the first time will be working with EAD within METS. The standard transformation from MARC to EAD does not incorporate the MARC field 001, which contains the System Control Number/Unique identifier within the catalogue, which we depend on heavily in the digitisation workflow. I was wondering if those of you who are already using EAD could let me know if you include this in your EAD and if so which element and attributes do you use? For example the manuscript collection I am starting with has a System Control Number at Fonds, Series and File level. We were thinking on the lines of placing the System Control Number (vtls004593617) for the Fonds in the element within element using identifier and encodinganalog attributes as follows: The above could also contain the handle to the parent object e.g. Then the element within element for FONDS level record will contain the NRA Code (MARC field 099) However, I notice that the LC have done this differently. Placing handle in identifier in eadid and note regarding Catalogue Record (System Control Number) in a note element within filedesc http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms001004

Catalog Record: http://lccn.loc.gov/mm79011056

For all sub levels Then for all sub levels (Series, File) which have a bibliographic record of placing the System Control Number in the identifier attribute within the element along with encodinganalog attribute which will contain the MARC field number and possibly label attribute e.g. Being relatively new to EAD I was wondering if what we have suggested is ok or whether those of you who have implemented have any other suggestions and better still examples of how you have incorporated LCNs into your EAD. Any guidance / feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vicky