From an EAD-encoding perspective, <unittitle> is not required, so simply having a <unitdate> is sufficient.  This is also compliant with the DACS guidelines for subsequent levels in a multilevel description.  In the example of a corresondence series, the title "Correspondence" could inherit to subordinate components with only <unitdate>s.

Mike

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Jaime Margalotti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
As someone who is firmly on the nested <unitdate> side, I have a question for the non-nesters.  How do you deal with situations where the date is the only title (such as: the series is "Correspondence" and each file is a date range?

I did not think is was acceptable to leave the <unittitle> empty, so would you put the date in both places and use the stylesheet to sort out the redundancy?

Thanks,
Jaime