You could use the generate-id() function. This will return a string value
 that uniquely identifies a node. The string always begins with an alpha
character, followed by a mix of alphanumeric characters.

Generate an HTML ID for each series and subseries in the finding aid (say,
on your title), something like:

<h3>
    <xsl:element name="a">
         <xsl:attribute name="href">
              <xsl:value-of select="generate-id(current())"/>

 </xsl:attribute>

<xsl:value-of select="did/unittitle"/>

 </h3>

And then where you're trying to create the subseries links in the series
arrangement section, just generate a list of subseries unittitles linking
to anchor tags for each child c0x [@level='subseries']. You use the same
generate-id() function to create these anchor tags that you used above.

Joyce

--
Joyce Chapman
Triangle Research Libraries Network