You could use the generate-id() function. This will return a string value †that uniquely identifies a node. The string always begins with an alpha character, followed by a mix of alphanumeric characters.†

Generate an HTML ID for each series and subseries in the finding aid (say, on your title), something like:

<h3>
† ††<xsl:element†name="a">
† † † † †<xsl:attribute†name="href">
† † † † † † ††<xsl:value-of†select="generate-id(current())"/>† † † † † † † †

</xsl:attribute>

<xsl:value-of†select="did/unittitle"/>

</h3>

And then where you're trying to create the subseries links in the series arrangement section, just generate a list of subseries unittitles linking to anchor tags for each child c0x [@level='subseries']. You use the same generate-id() function to create these anchor tags that you used above.

Joyce