The rubber disc story comes from Gelatt. I have never seen one, and have
never known anyone to encounter one, but that doesn't mean they might not
have existed. I think that if you found one, it may not be playable by
conventional methods no matter how hard it might have been originally
because very old rubber tends to dry out and split.

And I have no confidence in rubber as a viable playing surface.

Dave Lewis
Lebanon, OH