From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Emile Berliner in testimony for a court case in England between the
Gramophone Co. and Nicole Record Co. wrote the following in a letter of
information to the British attorneys on 18 June 1903 (p. 2):

............................ In 1894 hard rubber records pressed
under heat and cooling were sold by the United States
Gramophone Company of Washington D.C. and in 1895 the
Berliner Gramophone Company of Philadelphia, likewise sold
hard rubber gramophone records in large quantities.
It was found that the pressing of perfect records in hard
rubber was attended with considerable difficulty, and upon
enquiry I was referred to the Duranoid Manufacturing Co.
of Newark, N.J. who were making articles of commerce in
immitation [sic] of hard rubber, the composition of which nor
the procedure of making it, or pressing it, were unknown
to me.     I started negotiations with them for the Berliner
Gramophone Company of Philadelphia, and the Duranoid Co.
agreed to furnish us copies in their hard rubber substitute
if we would give them the matrices, but they did not
divulge to the Berliner Gramophone Company nor to me, nor
to anyone connected with us, how they made such imitation
hard rubber sound records.     Since the Duranoid Company
had no difficulty in furhishing us with any number of
perfect copies, we decided to give up the hard rubber and use
only records similar in every respect in general appearance
to hard rubber, except that the Duranoid Company told us
that could furnish records in any color desired.

So, Gelatt was right, as he generally was. The only problem with his book is
that it does not give any sources for his correct information.

Kind regards,

George