From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello Mike,

to your very thorough discussion of glass vs. metal I can add the following
reference:

Audio Record Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 1-2, March 1951

 - this is the magazine of Audio Devices, and they discuss the advantage of
having the much smoother surface of glass to use as a base, and they sound
clearer. Surface roughness graphs of iron, aluminum and glass are shown (and
if they have not cheated), the glass is very much smoother. They claim that
their process is much improved over the wartime ones.

Audio Record may be found on the internet archive.

Best wishes,

George