http://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BsZGlwMHc3N0JvSWNUQw?cid=tx-02002207340200000000&s=19102
(remember to paste complete link into your browser)

Some scans from dB Magazine, including a 2-parter on the development of the Ampex ATR-100, and a
primer on tape editing tricks from one of the old-school aces at CBS Radio.

Note that the Ampex 350/Lang editing carts shown in the CBS Radio photos ended up being part of one
of the best dumpster dives in NYC history, when CBS dumped them all in the early 90's. I don't know
this for a fact, but I suspect Lang developed those editing carts for CBS Radio and then sold them
to others. They were shown in Lang literature from the mid-60's. The carts contained a JBL or Jensen
full-range speaker in the door, powered by a Langevin 10W tube amplifier. I think some of the carts
had Lang electronics inside, some used Ampex 351 electronics with the VU meter and some controls
moved up to the panel behind the transport. The units I saw from the dumpster dive were in very
rough shape, but the Langevin power amps, full-range speakers and parts from the tape electronics
made for good eBay fodder. The rollarounds are rock-solid. I still have one.

Also of interest is the followup to the CBS Radio article, from a former audio man there. The story
of Joel Tall inventing the editing block is recounted. I have previously posted a scan of the liner
notes of the original 12" 78 multi-disk album of Edward R. Murrow's first "I Can Hear It Now," which
discussed using the great "new" medium of magnetic tape to produce the recording, with Joel Tall
being one of the mentioned editors. Joel Tall of course patented, developed and sold the EdiTall
splicing block.

As for the cover photo (the single JPG file), here's the caption (obviously meant somewhat tongue in
cheek):
"Chief Engineer Kurt Munkacsi of New York's Big Apple Recording Studio must sometimes resort to
extremely drastic means to adjust torque on his machines. He can be seen in more normal pose on the
cover of John Woram's "The Recording Studio Handbook." Photo is by Ray Buchner."

-- Tom Fine