Bob, why would that be so about DSP software working better at 48 and 96 than 88.2kHz? Not doubting
your results or ears, just curious about why???

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording_78rpm_records

I can't recommend 96k highly enough. CD is on its death bed and we're talking about the future uses
of preserved audio. Virtually every application for digital audio other than CD is 48k. I've also
found a fair amount of DSP software that actually sounds better at both 48 and 96 than at 88.2 and
have never heard any that sounded better at 88.2 than 48.

Sample rate conversions from 96 to 44.1 require double precision while conversion from 88.2 only
requires single-precision. Double precision was exotic a decade ago but is absolutely standard
operating procedure with any software one might seriously want to employ today.

Bob

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com