Hi Cary:

By the way, a huge mainstream media coverage from Friday:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505270_162-57417635/record-store-day-breathing-new-life-into-vinyl/

Despite my reservations, today's weather was too nice not to travel 15 miles to Gerosa Records over
in CT, arrived 15 minutes before the doors opened, and was #10 in line (and the line didn't get much
bigger than double that). I  fit right in to the RSD crowd there -- it was all middle-aged dudes,
likely swarming in to buy the kids' favorites and resell them on eBay immediately for big profit. So
of course the Black Keys and Phish stuff sold right out. But almost nothing else was in short
supply. I found stuff I hadn't even seen on the RSD website. I left happy, although the store hadn't
even ordered the Little Richard red-vinyl LP, which was the one thing I had wanted in advance.

Regarding your comment about classic jazz, it depends on how classic you mean. There are now a fair
number of 1950's and 60's jazz titles reissued on vinyl, everyone who plays in vinyl is playing in
the jazz genre (because middle aged guys have money and will spend it on jazz LPs). I noticed EMI is
now reissuing Blue Note titles with a CD included in the package. Rhino has some Atlantic jazz out
on vinyl and Sony Legacy has some Columbia titles out. It's not a huge selection, but it's the
titles the audiophiles and jazz-as-sound-experience fans want. There is now quite a bit of rock,
both new and reissued, on vinyl. I noticed that last year, Gerosa had all the new-issue rock vinyl
in one bin. Now, they have a whole row of bins dedicated to new-issue rock, soul, dance/hip-hop and
pop
vinyl, with alphabetical separators like in the old days. There weren't a lot of copies of any
title, so that's an indication of the variety now available.

Back to jazz, I don't see any advantage or reason to issue vinyl versions of stuff from the pre-LP
days. Those collections seem to seel best as CD compilations or sets, with tasteful sonic cleanup
and skilled transfers being the hallmarks of the best products (ie Mosaic). Others may disagree.
There seems to be a wish among a very small group of people (maybe all of them are on this list) for
reissue 78RPM records. I would say, if metal parts exist (and you can plate from those metal parts
without ruining them) and you could press on new vinyl compounds allowing for light tracking and low
surface noise, that would be great. But if it's a matter of dubbing to a new master, why add another
generation of surface noise? Keep in mind that almost no mainstream phono preamp has any facilities
to play non-RIAA curves, so the niche for these products is probably too small for any sensible
profit-desiring company to bother.

-- Tom Fine