I didn't see an answer to this question.

Summing simply means that a stereo signal has been converted to mono by
combining the L & R channels into a single monaural channel.

Like when you could throw the switch on your receiver or amp from stereo
to mono. You are summing the 2 channels. Receivers don't have such
things anymore.

joe salerno

--
Joe Salerno