It was recorded using a separate machine that was often located in a central
building on the lot but very much at the same time. When I was working in
film during the '90s I was told dialogue replacement in the original
language is a recent development having to do with the introduction of very
portable cameras and a declining number of sufficiently quiet production
locations.

I recently saw a number of very early sound pictures and was floored by how
little has actually changed in the way movie sound is done. It was almost
all invented within a very few years.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com