BTW, I should add a third key rule about ticks and pops -- do everything possible to eliminate the
static charge on the record surface. I have always liked the ZeroStat ion gun, which has been back
in production for several years now. My old Discwasher version still works well, but they do wear
out eventually. In general, LP playback in a very dry environment is fraught with static issues. My
best playbacks occur when it's not indoor-heating season.

With my Denon high-output moving-coil cartridge, static discharge can completely short out the
signal, the waveform looks like the needle is jumping the groove but I don't think that's what's
happening. I think the coils are completely saturated by the static charge and take a few
milliseconds to recover as the charge passes through the cable. Not positive that's exactly what's
happening, but there can be complete loss of signal after the pop, with very fast rise time on the
pop, almost instant fall-off, then a short "blank" period, the resumption of signal. In that case,
the best one can do is remove the annoying pop, but there's no underlying audio content to recover
so it can appear to the ear as a small dropout (small enough that it must be listened carefully to
hear, but still undesireable). So I work hard to avoid static charge on the record.

Sometimes you can discharge a lot of "popcorn" static by using the cue lever to hover the needle
just a tiny bit over the record. Static then jumps to ground via the needle or cantelever and it
should then not appear as a loud pop later. As I said, though, a warm heated room the winter is a
pretty challenging environment for LP playback. My rule of thumb is, the appropriate environment for
acetate and early mylar tapes is also appropriate for LP playback. The bone-dry environment
recommend for sticky-era tapes is not.

-- Tom Fine