Dale's question (or I suspect, point made in the form of a question) is
right on the mark.

All electronic systems, analog or digital, have their limits.  The
ability to record, reproduce, process, square waves or short impulses
for example, depends on a system's high frequency response and dynamic
range.  There is NO technology out there that can record a pure square
wave or infinitely short impulse.  Some systems are of course better
than others at recording audio band square waves, impulses, and complex
waveforms with important high frequency content.  But whether they are
digital or analog is not the determining factor.

It's a mistake to close our minds to digital audio, and its most
prominently employed sampling methodology, Linear Pulse Code Modulation
(LPCM), just because we might be dissatisfied with CD quality digital
audio (16-bit 44.1 kHz sample rate LPCM).

Regards,
Karl

--

Karl Fitzke
Audio Engineer

607-254-1100

Our Mission:
To interpret and conserve the Earth's biological diversity through research, education, and citizen science focused on birds.