when I first saw this thread I misread it as Recording_at_78rpm rather
than Recording_78rpm_records.

I have had the enlightening experience of having the chance to record
myself as musician using both 78rpm and cylinder machines. There is much
that can be said about the insight that is to be gained from listening
to your own performance, recorded using vintage equipment.

When first recording to cylinder I played as I would for a live
performance, playing piano as accomp. to a violin solo. In the first
recording the piano could not be heard. For the second recording I moved
the piano part up an octave. this time we got a lovely take. Musicians
of the pre electric era must have had to make compromises of this sort
for every recording they made.

I have subsequently taken every opportunity I can to record using pre
electric equipment. Each time gaining new knowledge.

That there are significant advantages recording at high speed there is
no doubt. I wonder if there have been any experiments using 78rpm
equipment to make stereo recordings. Do ARSCLIST users know of any
experiments of this sort?

--
Mike Hirst
Managing Director