Hello Fuji:

As far as a commercially-duplicated format, half-track mono was very short-lived. I don't know if
full-track mono was ever a commercially-duplicated format.

Here are two articles from Radio & Television News ...

1. from March 1952 is an editorial by Oliver Read describing two duplicating operations known to
exist at that time. My assumption is that both were duplicating half-track mono reels, probably
7.5IPS. Both would have used DIY duplicating systems because Ampex did not release the first 3200
duplicator system until 1954.
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1469297401/50703fa972a9cb9c8cd70c5996259528?cid=tx-02002207350200000000&s=19104
(paste full link into your browser, someone else feel free to give this a permanent home)

2. from April 1952 is an article by Leon Wortman (later an Ampex executive) describes on of the two
operations mentioned by Read.
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1469293697/b9e851fae34bf0bc6a1583ee14f63b8b?cid=tx-02002207350200000000&s=19104
(again, make sure to copy the full link into your browser)

From these two sources, you might gather some facts as to what material was being duplicated in
those days.

There were definitely plenty of jazz albums issued in the 1956-58 timeframe on 2-track STEREO tapes.
I know for a fact that Mercury issued a bunch of jazz albums, as did Atlantic and others. I presume
RCA and Columbia did too, although I haven't seen any of those 2-track tapes. Grand Award also
issued their "20's" and "30's" series on 2-track reels in that timeframe.

As soon as the quarter-track format came along, mass-duped 2-tracks died out quickly.

It's also worth noting that in the very early days of 2-track stereo tapes, a few titles were issued
in staggered-head (Magnecorder) format. ConcerTapes and Livingston and perhaps others issued in this
format. Ampex put a heavy foot down in favor of the in-line head standard we know and use today, and
that was a good thing.

Please let us know if you find out about any jazz half-track duped tapes. I have quite a few
examples of early duped tapes, but few half-tracks and no jazz half-tracks.

-- Tom Fine